English Mission Statement
At St. Margaret Mary Catholic Primary School we want to make learning vivid, real and enjoyable. We are an inclusive learning community and children here will develop their ability to listen, speak, read and write for a wide range of purposes. Using a range of texts (written, spoken and media based) our children use language to explore and express ideas, views and feelings which enhances both self-confidence, wellbeing and future opportunities.
- To promote and nurture skills of speaking and listening so that our children can maximize learning opportunities whilst building the confidence, desire and ability to listen carefully as well as express their views and opinions orally.
- To provide a rich environment that promotes a culture of reading and writing.
- To develop in our pupils a love of books and literature that will not only support their learning across the curriculum but also enrich their lives.
- To promote in our community pleasure for reading.
- To explicitly teach reading skills throughout the school that continually develop children’s understanding and enjoyment of texts.
- To teach children the craft of writing so that they develop confidence and skills to write well for a range of purposes and audiences as well as enjoyment and creativity.
- To have an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- To teach the basics of phonics, spelling, handwriting and punctuation and thus facilitate creativity.
- To ensure that this “learning bus” of basic skills stops at regular intervals as children progress through year groups to offer opportunities to revisit, consolidate and provide “catch up “opportunities for our children.
- To value and celebrate diversity in culture.
Grammar Scheme of Work
Below you will find information about Key learning in Literacy.
Click on a button to view.
Writing Progression Policy
Reading for Pleasure Policy
Visit the Parish blog site
Copyright St Margaret Mary Catholic Primary School 2012